I remember the first time I had strawberry cheesecake. I think I was 13 years old. Mom took my sister and I out for a day of shopping for our birthdays. (Sis’s is the day before mine.) We stopped in a restaurant and had a slice of strawberry cheesecake. Heaven!
I also remember the boxed no-bake Jello cheesecakes we would make at home. I liked those, too. But as I got older, I became a bit of a cheesecake snob, believing the only true and delicious cheesecake had to be baked.
Recently I promised a friend I would make him anything he wanted for his birthday. He chose strawberry cheesecake. His birthday was during the holiday season, and as it approached, I realized I would not have the time to do a traditional baked cheesecake. As I began to contemplate calling a bakery, the image of Nigella Lawson making an easy refrigerator version popped into my mind. Sure enough, her Nigella Express had the perfect solution.
Unfortunately, as you can see, my photos of this yummy cheesecake didn’t turn out as nicely as I wanted. Here is what it looks like from Nigella’s website. Her recipe is even easier since she uses a black cherry jam for the topping. (Something I’m going to try one day!) Her original recipe also uses digestive biscuits for the crust, which I’d also like to try. The recipe in the
Our friend loved his birthday cheesecake. Even The Picky Eater liked it, and he’s not a cheesecake fan!
This cheesecake will now be my go-to dessert when I need something special but I’m short on time.
Refrigerator Strawberry CheesecakeAdapted from Nigella Express by Nigella Lawson
Cheesecake1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 stick unsalted butter, melted
10 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup heavy cream
Topping1 pound frozen strawberries
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons corn starch
Pinch of salt
1/8 cup water
For the cheesecake, mix together the graham cracker crumbs, 2 tablespoons sugar, and melted butter. Press the mixture into the bottom of an 8-inch springform pan. Be sure to press some of the mixture 1/4-inch up the side to make an edge.
In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and lemon juice until smooth.
In another large bowl, whip the cream until just it just begins to thicken. With a whisk, fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Spoon the mixture on top of the crust and smooth out the top. Refrigerate for three hours or overnight.
To serve, un-mold the cheesecake and spoon the strawberry topping on top.
For topping, place all of the ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and bowl for one minute. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Spread on cheesecake just before serving, or place in a serving dish for guests to spoon on their individual slices.
Check out the other retro creations from my fellow #SundaySupper bloggers, and please join on us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. This evening we will meet at 7 pm EST for our #SundaySupper live chat. All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag or you can follow us through TweetChat. We’d also love to feature your retro recipe on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board to share them with all of our followers, too.
Sunday Supper Retro Appetizers:
Sunday Supper Retro Salads:
- Irish Cheddar-Whiskey Fondue by girlichef
- She Devils: Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs by Ruffles & Truffles
Sunday Supper Retro Breads and Sandwiches:
- Coca-Cola Salad by Magnolia Days
- Salmon Salad | Retro Tuna Salad by Family Foodie
- Ambrosia Salad by Simply Gourmet
- Romaine “Wedge” Salad with Hot Maple Bacon Dressing by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Carrot & Raisin Salad by The Roxx Box
- Sweet & Smoky Broccoli Salad by In The Kitchen with KP
SundaySupper Main Dishes:
- Italian Style Bread by The Meltaways
- Creamed Chipped Salmon Jerky on Toast by Pescetarian Journal
- Grown-Up Tuna Melts by Home Cooking Memories
- English Muffin Pizzas by Comfy Cuisine
- Patty Melt, Hand Cut Fries, & a Shake by Mooshu Jenne
- Grown-Up Grilled Cheese With Tomato Soup by Catholic Foodie
- Toast Topper #16: Grandma’s Mock Apricot Jam by What Smells So Good?
Sunday Supper Retro Sides and Veggies:
- Chicken Pot Pie Topped With Bacon Cheddar Biscuits by Chocolate Moosey
- Tuna Noodle Casserole by Country Girl in the Village
- Nana’s Marinated Beef Roast by Supper for a Steal
- Chorizo Scotch Eggs by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Maryland by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Mushroom Stroganoff by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Dairyfree Toast Hawaii by Galactosemia in PDX
- Porcupine Meatballs by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Kiev by The Urban Mrs.
- Salmon Quiche with Preserved Lemon by Shockingly Delicious
- Steak Diane by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Fried Chicken only in the Oven by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Hambak Steak a.k.a. Salisbury Steak by Kimchi Mom
- Retro-Redo: Homemade TV Dinner by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Kicked Up Meatloaf by Curious Cuisiniere
- Shrimp Scampi (a lighter version) by Kudos Kitchen
- Old-Fashioned Pork Chops by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Jägerschnitzel by Sustainable Dad
- Healthier Hamburger-Corn Noodle Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
- Inspired by Tuna Noodle Casserole by Cookistry
- Chicken-N-Biscuits Pot Pie Casserole by The Messy Baker Blog
- Souper Pork Chops with Mashed Potatoes by Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Meatloaf that will make you swoon and Datz the truth by Midlife Roadtrip
- Spaghetti with Currywurst Sauce by Masala Herb
- Tator Tot Casserole by NeighborFood
Sunday Supper Retro Desserts and Cocktails:
- Smokey Braised Red Cabbage by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Classic Corn Casserole by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Balsamic by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Classic Green Bean Casserole Redux by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mem’s Broccoli Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Peachy Keen Tutti-Frutti Jello by La Cocina de Leslie
- Old School Boozy Rum Cake by Webicurean
- Individual Baked Alaskas by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rainbow Jello by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Pineapple Bars by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Creamy Dairy Free Fresh Orange Julius With Coconut Milk by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Refrigerator Strawberry Cheesecake by There and Back Again
- Frozen Pineapple Upside-Down Cake by Juanita’s Cocina
- Boston Cream Pie by Gotta Get Baked
- Coca-Cola Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Jello Poke Cake by Flour On My Face
- Devil’s Food Cake by Maroc Mama
- Bread Pudding with Pecans by Basic and Delicious
- Victoria Sponge Cake by The Lovely Pantry
- A Chocolate Twist on the Classic Japanese Strawberry Shortcake by Ninja Baking
- Post War Apple Pudding by My Cute Bride
- Layered Mini Chocolate Banana Cakes by Big Bears Wife
- Raspberry Jam Cakes by Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Cocktail: Moscow Mule by Crazy by Crazy Foodie Stunts