Sunday, September 23, 2012

Leek, Apple and Gruyere Tarts for #SundaySupper


 
With the arrival of autumn comes an overwhelming craving for apples. I eat them more at this time of year than throughout any of the other seasons, perhaps because now is when they are available fresh from the tree. Whether I’m munching on them or cooking with them, I can’t seem to get enough!

 
I was thrilled that the #SundaySupper group of bloggers decided to celebrate this seasonal fruit in our quest to get people to gather around the table for a meal once a week. (Or more!) In fact, I’m using today’s post as the beginning of an entire week of apple-themed dishes here on There and Back Again. (See the links to the other posts below.)

Lately I’ve been intrigued by the idea of using apples in savory dishes. I remember Mom making fried apples as a side dish for dinner, and I’ve seen a number of recipes pairing apples with pork and in salads. So I decided to give this one a try.

 
 
I developed today’s recipe for a recent newspaper article. I found it on the Williams-Sonoma website. The original called for caramelized onions, but I’ve always liked leeks paired with Gruyere cheese and have made little tarts with both in the past.
 
The sautéed Granny Smith apples add a delicious depth of flavor to this dish. These tarts would make wonderful and easy holiday hors d’oeuvres, or a great snack while watching a movie or football game. For #SundaySupper, I would serve them with drinks as a starter to the meal.

Leek, Apple and Gruyere Tarts
Adapted from one found on www.williams-sonoma.com.

2 tablespoons canola oil
6 cups thinly sliced leeks, the white and light green parts only
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 large Granny Smith apples (or other tart apples), peeled and sliced into 1/8-inch pieces
1 teaspoon sugar
2 ounces grated Gruyere cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
1 package frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
1 egg, beaten with 2 teaspoons water

To clean the leeks, slice off the root and dark green ends. Thinly slice the white and light green parts, and then place the rings into a large bowl of cold water. Toss in the water to separate the layers of leeks and allow the dirt and sand to sink to the bottom of the bowl. Carefully lift the leeks out of the water and onto a clean dish towel. Roll the leeks up into the towel to dry.

In a large skillet, heat the canola oil over medium heat. Add the leeks and salt, and then saute until the leeks are softened and slightly browned. Scoop the leeks into a large bowl to cool.

In the same skillet, melt the butter. Add the apples and sugar, and saute until the apples start to soften and brown slightly. Add them to the bowl with the leeks and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Add the Gruyere, thyme and black pepper to the bowl, and stir until combined.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Position oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Spread the puff pastry dough onto a lightly floured surface. Cut into 2-inch squares, 32 total. Place the squares onto the baking sheets about 1-inch apart, and then brush with the egg mixture. Spoon a tablespoon-full of the leek-apple mixture onto the center of each square.

Bake for 25 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and crispy on the bottom. Rotate the baking sheets half-way through the baking time. Remove from the oven and allow the tarts to cool to room temperature. Serve at room temperature.

Be sure to check out my fellow #SundaySupper bloggers to see what they created with apples. And don’t forget to join us at 7:00 pm ET for our live chat on Twitter. Just use the hashtag #Sundaysupper or Tweetchat. We’d also love to feature your apple recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!

Soups, Salads, Starters and Breads
Main Meals
Sides
Desserts
Beverages

 
 

 

43 comments:

  1. I love leeks, I often caramelize them with my onions so I think I might give these tarts a go next time I make some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's my kinda tart! love the combination of flavors! Absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of combining leeks and cheese. I can imagine how delicious it is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a delicious tart! I definitely want a bite...

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks so flippin good!! Gruyere is one of my favorites cheese and to have it with apples and leeks looks fabulous!! I think my girls might even try this one, I'll call it an apple pizza ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sweet and savory combination. Your dish looks amazing. Leeks, apples, gruyere...It doesn't get much better than that. Happy #SS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great appetizer! Great photos! Makes you just want to grab one from the screen and try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great appetizer! Great photos! Makes you just want to grab one from the screen and try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apples and cheese (especially gruyere) go so well together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's just nothing better than apples and cheese....and then you put it in tart form? YUMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love leeks as part of a tart. The other ingredients are such a good combination. Wonderful recipe for apple week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great combination of flavors! Love apples in savory dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore cooking with frozen puff pastry and am always looking for new recipes using it. Love the combo of flavors here!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks fantastic! I love leeks and gruyere so adding apples sounds like the perfect match ~ Bea

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will take the whole platter of these tarts, please and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore leeks and gruyere. These sound delightful. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds delicious! I'm bookmarking now as an appetizer for my next gathering!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look amazing ! pairing leeks & apples & cheese must be lovely ! Such a novel idea ! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that there are several savory apple dishes being shared... and I'm intrigued by tarts like this... might just have to try one at home soon! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow this looks awesome! I love leeks, apples, and Gruyere is my favorite cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Linda, This looks like a wonderful fall dish…something I would so enjoy! Delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have been intrigued by this since your sneak peak. I will be trying this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a delicious idea for a tart. I like the idea of using apples in savory dishes, and this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  24. All these great apple recipes are making my hungry! Your little tarts look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this idea for a tart - apples are good sweet or savoury. And your photos with that flaky, golden, crispy crust...I'm drooling just looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely tear - it looks so seasonal and very delicious! I love apple season.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely recipe using apples and puff pastry!Love the use of gruyere and leeks in these!So so delicious looking and cannot wait to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice! This may just be a recipe that convinces me fruit can go with savoury stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Apple and cheese deliciousness is what I shall call this post! :-)
    Your pics are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  30. These look so delicious! Oh, gruyere. . you had me at gruyere! yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, my. My mouth is watering just reading the name of your recipe....and then the photos hit me!!! LOVE these tarts...what a yummy combination of flavors! Happy #SS!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This sounds like such a wonderful and tasty dish. Apples and cheese go so well together. I made a similiar tart with pears and goat cheese. I love the addition of leek.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm a fan of all of these flavors...particularly the leeks and Gruyere! Another one for my "to make" list!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love Gruyere! What a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my goodness! You have outdone yourself with this combination ... love that it's an easy fix with the puff pastry! I am def making these in the next week! We've just been to the orchard for the 'Fall haul'- there are apples aplenty in the grey cottage right now!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh my goodness! You have outdone yourself with this combination ... love that it's an easy fix with the puff pastry! I am def making these in the next week! We've just been to the orchard for the 'Fall haul'- there are apples aplenty in the grey cottage right now!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Linda, it looks lovely! I can smell it through the screen! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Follow-up! I made these for a light dinner last evening to have with squash soup and a spinach salad ... they were sooo delicious! Thank you for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete