Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Choco-Cherry Cookies



I adore the flavor combination of chocolate and cherry, even more so than chocolate and strawberry, orange, or any other fruit flavor.

My eyes light up at the sight of Black Forest Cake.

I love the burst of cherry when biting into one covered in chocolate.

I’m instantly a kid again when I order a Choco-Cherry Love Blizzard at Dairy Queen.


So, when needing to satisfy a cookie craving, it makes sense I reached for the cocoa powder, chocolate chips and dried cherries in my pantry to create these wonderful cookies. The rich chocolate flavor is delightful, and each surprising bite of dried cherry is
a tasty treat.


I ate these cookies warm from the oven.

I ate them while watching television.

Yes, I even ate a couple for breakfast.

Thank goodness I left a bunch on the hallway table by the elevators for my neighbors. Otherwise, I may have eaten them all!



Choco-Cherry Cookies
Makes about 5 dozen

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s.)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli.)
1 cup dried cherries, rough chopped if too large
1 cup chopped nuts, optional

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter, brown sugar, sugar and vanilla. Beat until creamy. Add the eggs and beat until well combined. With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl a couple of times. Add the chocolate chips, dried cherries and nuts (if using) and mix for just a moment to combine.

Drop rounded teaspoons of the cookie dough onto the baking sheets. Place in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, turning the cookie sheets and swapping shelves halfway through baking. Take the cookies out of the oven and allow them to sit on the baking sheets for two minutes. Then place them on racks to cool. Store in an air-tight container.      


No comments:

Post a Comment