Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Iced Tea Sangria


Boy, it is hot here in Topeka!

Yes, I'm familiar with the cartoon that says the same thing, but I’m not trying to be funny here. It really is hot and headed to 100-plus degrees today. (BTW, I love that cartoon, but The Picky Eater, who was a Topeka native, didn't care for it at all.) 

It's the perfect weather for this Iced Tea Sangria.

I love this recipe because it pairs two of my favorite beverages—iced tea and wine. I saw a recipe for it floating around Facebook, but of course I had to play with it a bit.

Use whatever fruit you like. I went with oranges, since I like them in my iced tea, and summer fruits like peaches, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. You can use fresh fruit, but honestly I used frozen and the drink turned out great.

My wine choice was an un-oaked chardonnay I had in the fridge, but use whatever white wine you like. A rosé or red wine would work, too, but I picked white so I could also taste the tea.

Add sugar depending on how sweet you like your drink. Since I prefer unsweetened iced tea and dry wines, I only added a tablespoon of sugar. Add more if you like sweeter beverages, or just make a sweet tea to add to the recipe.

Cheers!

Iced Tea Sangria

4 cups brewed iced tea (I used a black tea.)
2 cups white wine
1 tablespoon sugar, or to taste
Fresh or frozen fruit of choice

In a large container, add the tea and wine. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved, and then add the fruit. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Overnight is even better. Serve over ice.


5 comments:

  1. Dear Linda, That does sound refreshing and cool to sit and sip.
    I keep you in my prayers and am happy to see you blogging.
    Blessings dear. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda,
    It's pretty hot here too but it's the humidity that's really getting to me this year. It just won't let up.

    I've been on a Sangria kick the past week or so. Yours looks quite refreshing. I'll be adding it to my list:)

    I too am glad to see you blogging, Linda. Thanks for sharing, Linda...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds positively refreshing! We're gonna need it as that Topeka heat is headed our way ... just in time for the annual blueberry picking party and barbeque!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Linda, That looks wonderfully refreshing! We have had a few cool spells this summer. Our temps have stayed in the 80’s and low 90’s most of the summer. However, I live on Iced tea when the temps go above 70! I would love to enjoy a glass of this wonderful sangria! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks the perfect thing! it was brutally hot here last week, but this week it's cooled off quite and bit...

    ReplyDelete