Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Summertime Jam and Jelly




Today my article ran in the Topeka Capital-Journal newspaper on making jams and jellies. 

The piece features a European-style strawberry jam recipe inspired by one Sue posted on her View from Great Island blog last summer, plus one I saw in Home Made Summer by Yvette Van Boven.

In this method, instead of boiling the filled jars to seal them shut, you turn the jars upside down to seal!

Also, the article features my Mom’s yummy grape jelly, which we made on a recent Sunday morning on the
farm in the traditional way.

Both the jam and jelly were big hits!






Click here for the article and strawberry jam recipe.


Click here for Mom’s homemade grape jelly recipe.



6 comments:

  1. Mmmmm! Jam making! I've put up one batch of strawberry and tjis Saturday we will be picking wild blueberries for jams and all the other good stuff! It's raspberry time here too! But i must make a raspberry swirl cheesecake before I think abbout raspberry jam!

    I'm off to click the link to the Topeka paper! You're famous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE jam making! yours look wonderful - can't wait to make the strawberry!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you've been busy jamming this summer too. I've heard of the upside down method but haven't tried it yet. You can seal them in the oven too if you don't want to do the hot water. I bet everyone loved your jam, there is nothing better than homemade jam. Hope you are enjoying your summer.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you busy girl. I see you have been doing a lot of jamming! I too am off to check our your "famous" article.

    GREAT work, Linda...

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT article, Linda. Unfortunately I wasn't able to comment for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! We recently visited a cyder farm in Cornwall that made jam, and we watched them making a batch. They used the turning upside down to seal method as well and I though it was very clever! These look brilliant too, no wonder they went down well!

    ReplyDelete