Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Lemondoodles


I’m in a cookie mood. You probably guessed that since my last post also featured cookies. But my current cookie trend isn't just because they are yummy treats that can satisfy the most rampant sweet craving. Or that you can eat a lot of cookies and not feel as guilty as if you ate three slices of cake or pie.

What I love most about cookies is their shareablity. It’s so easy to just stick a few in a bag and hand them over to a loved one;  place a tray in the hallway near the elevator with a sign, “Help yourself;” or grab a few from the cookie jar to serve with coffee to friends or family. And, as I mentioned in my last post, baking cookies is a great way to share time in the kitchen with even the smallest child.



I made these Lemondoodles this past weekend for my stepson, Mike, Jr.’s 27th birthday. He loves all types of lemon-flavored sweets. (Last year I blogged about the Elusive Lemon Cake I made for his celebration.)




Mike, Jr. loved these cookies when I made them last fall, so I decided they would make an appropriate birthday treat. I gave him a bag-full as a present, and I also took some to the small family gathering we had to celebrate his day, along with my Gathering Brownies for those more inclined to enjoy chocolate over lemon. Not only did he take home his gift cookies, he also took the ones leftover on the platter.

I guess he really likes them!


These cookies got their name because The Picky Eater (better known as my wonderful husband, Michael) looked at them and said, “They look like snickerdoodles.” And he’s right, they do—a bit crispy on the outside, chewy in the middle, and bursting with lemon flavor. I came across the original recipe on the Lauren’s Latest blog, but I’ve also seen it on other blogs and recipe sites. I changed it a bit, upping the lemon zest to make the flavor more intense. It’s almost like lemonade in a cookie!

Lemondoodles
Adapted from Lauren’s Latest
Makes 3 1/2 dozen

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs
3 teaspoons lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Sifted powdered sugar, for rolling

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.

In the bowl of a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the vanilla, eggs, lemon zest and lemon juice until blended, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Slowly stir in the powdered ingredients until they are just blended. Don’t over mix.

Sift the powdered sugar into a shallow bowl. Roll the cookie dough into 1-inch balls and then roll the balls in the powdered sugar. Place 1 1/2-inches apart on the baking sheets. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, or until the cookies just begin brown on the bottom. Don’t over bake. Cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes, and then finish cooking on a rack. Store in an air-tight container.  

6 comments:


  1. these are some might delicious cookies girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always in a cookie mood... =] These look fab, no wonder their popular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are lovely!! I love lemon desserts…will have to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these! Like lemon drops have been made into a cookie!

    By the way Happy 'Happy Birthday, Julia Child!' Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Linda, A perfect cookie. I love lemon. Blessings dearest. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete