Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Hot Pot




While looking through Mamaw’s recipe file recently, I stumbled across a favorite from my childhood. And it was written in my mom’s handwriting!

Hot Pot was a big hit growing up. It’s a layered dish of potatoes, onions, and hamburger, and I pretty much stuffed myself each time Mom made it. So I was thrilled with my discovery.

One glitch: The recipe is meant for an electric skillet and I don’t own one. So I thought I’d give it a try with my Jamie Oliver T-Fal three and a half-quart stainless-steel deep saute pan and lid instead. (This has been my go-to skillet for years!) 

It worked!

The recipe had to be adjusted a little bit, but not anything drastic. The primary change was cutting back on the amount of broth I used. (I’ve provided both the electric skillet and stove-top directions in the recipe.)

 
 
And instead of using hamburger, I tried it with pork sausage from a local butcher. It was wonderful! So feel free to make this quick and easy meal for dinner or breakfast/brunch!

 
 
 
 
 
  
 
Yield: 4
Author: Linda Ditch
Hot Pot

Hot Pot

An easy, hearty family dinner for those who love meat and potatoes.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 pounds hamburger or breakfast sausage
  • 4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
  • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
  • Beef broth for hamburger, or chicken broth for sausage (1 cup for the electric skillet recipe, 1/2 cup for stovetop)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (plus more for garnish)
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

  1. For the electric skillet: Place 1/3 of the sliced potatoes in the bottom of the electric skillet. Add 1/2 of the hamburger/sausage, and then 1/2 of the onion. Layer another third of the potatoes on the onion, and then the rest of the hamburger/sausage and onion. Finish with the final third of the potatoes on top. Pour in the broth, and sprinkle the top with the parsley, salt and pepper. Cook at 250 degrees until the potatoes are tender, about 1 hour.
  2. For the stovetop: In a deep skillet with a lid, brown the hamburger/sausage over medium/high heat until just done. Remove from the skillet and set aside. With the skillet off the heat, layer in the ingredients as directed above. Place back on the heat and bring the broth to a simmer. Cover, reduce the heat to low and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 30 to 45 minutes. If the broth evaporates before the potatoes are done, add a little more. If the potatoes are tender but there is still broth in the pan, remove the lid and allow the liquid to evaporate.

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of hot pot before but it sounds really hearty and comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited to find this recipe. I used to make it regularly for my family. I retired 10 years ago, did major downsizing (moved to Mexico), and have been going through my mental storehouse of recipes lately, searching for recipes that my DH can eat with minimal chewing power. He had 3 teeth extracted a month ago and is waiting for enough healing to happen to get implants and a new bridge. This is actually food he can eat without putting it through the food processor.

    I no longer have an electric skillet either, but was thinking along the same lines. I even remembered the ingredients and proportions better than I thought I would. I'll also try the sausage variation, as I can get very good organic ground pork here at our local farmers' market.

    You can be sure I will bookmark your site and return to check out more recipes. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you found the recipe, and that it came along at the right time for your DH! Let me know if you try it and what you think. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete