Monday, July 2, 2012

Herbed Butter for Everything







Sometimes the simplest recipes can have the greatest impact on a meal.






Yesterday’s Sunday supper was a summer-style menu with my baked farmers market pork chops (since we live in a downtown apartment, we don’t have a grill), sliced tomatoes and corn on the cob, along with my husband’s favorite birthday baked beans and potatoes roasted with the pork chops.  However, I wanted to add a little pizzazz to the meal, so I mixed up a compound butter to melt on the corn and potatoes.



Compound butters are so easy. Just allow a stick of butter to soften and then mix in your favorite flavors. I chose fresh thyme, rosemary, and black pepper. (Be careful to add more thyme than rosemary, since the rosemary’s pungent flavor could overtake the thyme.) This made a tasty and versatile butter that will taste great melting on top of just about anything—vegetables, beef, pork, chicken, fish, etc. I even plan to test it out with scrambled eggs.



In our household, this butter passed the ultimate test: My husband, The Picky Eater, declared it to be “good” and used it on all every ear of corn he enjoyed! I did the same, plus I allowed the butter to melt over the top of the roasted potatoes. (My husband used ketchup, of course.) I was tempted to put some on my pork chop, but I managed to exercise a little restraint.



Herbed Butter

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon finely minced fresh thyme
1 teaspoon finely minced fresh rosemary
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Kosher salt, to taste
 
Place the butter into a small bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and, using the back of a spoon, mash the ingredients into the butter. Spoon the butter mixture onto a piece of waxed paper and shape into a small log. Roll up the butter into the paper, twist the ends to close, and refrigerated until the butter is firm.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, I have never made herbed butter but, I will be trying it soon….corn season is right around the corner in NJ.
    I love your new look and have chosen your blog to receive "The Lovely Blog Award". You can pick it up on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, thank you so much for The Lovely Blog Award! It is such an honor to get this award from a fellow lovely blogger! I'll be posting about it with my 4th of July post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love compound butter! Great idea to sneak some fresh, healthy herbs into your husband's diet with this butter :)

    ReplyDelete